I have long been wanting to start a blog meme among believers and non-believers in which each “victim” of the mind-virus would answer the following:
1) Who are “Us”?
2) Who are “Them”?
3) What is the weakest argument used by supporters of Our Side?
4) What is the best argument deployed by Their Side?
This would hopefully take the focus off bashing the other guy and turn it toward a more humble footing. It could even be applied to the opponents in any contentious debate.
Unfortunately my blog doesn’t have the visibility (no one reads it) to start something like this. That said, my answers would be run thus:
1) Soft Atheists: those who cite that “(claimed) insufficient evidence” for God’s existence.
2) Theists: I think you know who you are - still wondering about James McGrath :)
3) Every evil perpetrated in the last 2000 years can be blamed on religion: I firmly believe that, while Hitler may have had religious thoughts, in the absence of those he would have found some other justification for his actions.
4) The argument from personal experience: Although what takes place in an individuals head is subjective and unreproducible (under controlled conditions) it is still a something that was perceived and affected that person’s life. (HT McGrath)
(originally posted at Pen & Parchment)