Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hunger = Good?

Hunger is not a Sin.

I am not talking about the kind of hunger that haunts and kills millions every year. I am thinking here about the kind of hunger that your average office worker experiences around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. The natural reaction seems to have become to get up and visit the snack machine. Hence, an obese nation.

Yesterday I neglected to eat the sliced orange I had packed myself as an afternoon snack. I really enjoyed my supper! And I didn't die!

When my wife and I were facing some serious lifestyle changes to keep our financial house in order, I adopted an attitude that entailed not merely considering each purchase before entering into it but considering all purchases extravagant. I learned to think poor and changed my attitude toward consumption. I believe the same thing should be possible with respect to food and eating wisely. I must learn that being hungry before a meal is normal and natural. Hunger can be a good thing. I am, of course, assuming that this is not the road to an eating disorder.

No comments: